Hear from Uncle Kevin Buzzacott, Scott Ludlam and Mia Pepper as they discuss the reasons why nuclear power is not the 'green' solution to climate change it's presented to be.
The nuclear industry, with the help of the Murdoch media, has been staging an aggressive pro-nuclear campaign ahead of the COP26 climate summit. Friends of the Earth has kickstarted the fight back with an online event featuring a wonderful panel of speakers with a wealth of experience fighting radioactive racism:
- Uncle Kevin Buzzacott, Arabunna Elder who has been working over 30 years to highlight the impacts of uranium mining
- Scott Ludlam, former Australian Greens Senator, anti-nuclear and climate activist
- Mia Pepper, nuclear researcher and expert
This event was brought to you by Friends of the Earth's Nuclear Free Collective in collaboration with Blockade IMARC. You can watch it back here:
Communities across the continent are now facing multiple threats from the nuclear industry. Check out these links to get involved in the fight for a nuclear free future:
- Support Uncle Kev's fighting fund to protect Arabunna country from the destruction of ongoing uranium mining.
- Get involved with the Ban Uranium Mining Permanently collective in WA, resisting new uranium mines in the west
- For more resources the various pushes to develop a nuclear energy industry in Australia, and reasons to resist them, check out Dr Jim Green's work on nuclear power.
- Stay up to date with the No Dump Alliance and the fight to stop a nuclear waste dump in Barngala country, SA
- Call for Australia to join the Nuclear Weapon Ban Treaty with the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons
- Friends of the Earth Australia's Defence of Earth Project have put together an excellent background briefer with lots of pathways for action to resist the AUKUS deal.
For Narrm/Melbourne action in support of all these campaigns:
Organise with us! We research, educate and actively campaign on nuclear issues. We aim to protect people and the environment from damage by the nuclear industry and promote safe, clean and sustainable energy solutions. We amplify the voices of Indigenous communities directly impacted by the nuclear industry, and expose the reality of uranium mining, the legacy of nuclear weapons testing and the threat of proposed nuclear waste dumps. We believe that together we can realise a near future beyond nuclear in Australia!
Join the resistance to the International Mining and Resources Conference and draw attention to the crimes of the international mining industry at Blockade IMARC
Listen to the Radioactive Show on 3CR for nuclear issues around Australia.