Join local community members all across Victoria to search for the threatened Greater Glider and save their forest homes from devastating clear-fell logging.
Peer into the tree tops with a spotlight to catch a glimpse of this elusive, magnificent animal and protect their habitat.
Arrive to meet your team in the area most convenient for you and spend the afternoon meeting other volunteers, skilling up and coordinating gear, before heading out in small teams for a night in the forest.
All survey equipment will be supplied, but if you have spare powerful spotlight torches, GPS, cameras etc. please bring them along.
No experience or prior learning is required, but surveying does require a reasonable level of fitness. Walks in the forest are not on formed tracks and various obstacles and hazards could be encountered. Participation is at your own risk, but we will have experienced people to support you and make sure you're comfortable before you head out.
What to bring
- Camping gear: tent/swag and tarp, head torch, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, water bottles/containers etc.
- Warm clothing and wet weather gear
- Appropriate boots or hiking footwear for walking in the bush
- Gaiters or tough long pants
- Money to make a donation for food and other camp running costs (no one will be turned away for financial hardship. The event is free but donations to cover costs are greatly appreciated).
- Fuel for your cars. Fill up in Healesville on your way up and keep your receipt. You need enough fuel to drive from the camp out to the forest if you're taking your own vehicle.
- A personal first aid kit (if you have one). We will have basic first aid kits and snake bandages available as well.
You will be sent the COVID policy of where we're staying when you RSVP. Please read this thoroughly and communicate any concerns you have, so that we can mitigate risks and protect those vulnerable in the community.
The address will be provided via the messaging app Signal once you RSVP. The address listed on this event page is just a placeholder, please make sure you receive the correct address via Signal before you come.