Listed below are current volunteer opportunities with Friends of the Earth Melbourne. If you are interested, please email [email protected] to register your interest.
If your interest lies specifically with one of our campaigns, then please contact the above email and we will set you up with a contact.
Food Co-op & Cafe
Volunteers play an important part in running the food co-operative. One way in which you can volunteer is through becoming a rostered worker. Being a rostered worker involves doing a four hour shift each fortnight. Please click here if you are interested in volunteering at the Food Co-op.
Tasks may include:
- community education
- gathering resources
- helping shoppers
- ordering food
- maintaining finances
- making signs
- working on the cash register
- researching products
- writing articles for the Friends of the Earth newsletter, or
- any other projects that you may wish to discuss with the co-ordinator
Community Outreach Team
FoEM Schools Program Coordinator
Role to be developed with Operations and Development Coordinator
Work closely with collectives, affiliates and allied teachers to develop a schools program for Friends of the Earth.
Comms Working Group
Approximately 8 – 12 hrs per week
Assist the Operations Collective with the external communications with members and supporters. This includes, but is not limited to, emails, newsletters, social media, blogging and mail outs. This volunteer role works closely with the Development Coordinator.
- Coordinate the content creation for monthly e-news bulletins gathering information from all the collectives.
- Design and input content into an email blast sent from the Nationbuilder system.
- Coordinate the content creation for the printed newsletter sent to members.
- Assist the Fundraising Coordinator with the development of fundraising letters to be sent to supporters.
- Source and create social media content.
- Put up Facebook and Twitter posts at events or when available to do so.
- Assist Operations Collective in communications strategy approaches for the organisation.
- Create blog posts in conjunction with campaign collectives.
Approximately 4 – 8 hours per week
Assist with recording and maintaining the history of our organisation and making sure our story can be told in the future.
- Digitising flyers, pamphlets and paraphernalia for archiving.
- Recording important historical data for future use.
Approximately 2 -4 hours a week (as need arises)
Join the team of graphic designers creating the creative, visual components of the campaigns and collectives. A Facebook private group has been set up and campaigners pitch to the team of graphic designers with concepts and relevant images, fonts and logos for development. Usually online infographics, flyers, posters are called for. We use Canva as well as have GiMP available for use.
- Keep an eye on the Facebook group for campaigner pitches.
- Use described concepts and ideas to create graphics for the campaigns.
Approximately 2- 4 hours a week (as need arises)
Work in your local area putting up flyers and posters in local shops and around to promote upcoming events and actions. Liaise with collectives and others in the creatives team to determine need and organise teams in various geographical areas.
- Organise printing of relevant materials.
- Approaching businesses and community who might want a poster.
- Sticking up posters.
- Organise teams to work in different areas.
Approximately 4 – 6 hours a week (as need arises)
Liaise with campaigners and collectives to determine strategic targets and use culture jamming to advance campaign objectives. Culture jamming includes taking established logos, advertisements and the like and rebranding them to represent the realities of their work, or to bring shame to a company or logo that is not representing the truth behind their work.
- Liaise with campaigners and collectives to determine opportunities.
- Work with graphic designers and artists to create required resources.
- Implement creative rebranding actions and spread the word.
Super Human Information Tech Support
Approximately 4 – 8 hours a week (or as need arises)
Liaise with Comms Working Group and campaigners collectives to develop and implement online solutions for campaigns. We mostly use Nationbuilder and WordPress.
Tasks may include:
- Making adjustments to webpages as required by collectives and campaigns.
- Finding new solutions that integrate existing platforms with new apps and tools.
- Developing new websites for campaigns and collectives.
Hardware and Software Tech Support
Approximately 4 hours a week
Update and maintain the office computers to ensure that software and hardware does not degrade. Troubleshoot and try to find solutions to issues as they arise.
- Update and install any virus protection.
- Research and install any applications that may enhance office operations and protection.
- Fix and re-install corrupted or new software or hardware.
Approximately 8 hours per week
Friends of the Earth has a complex structure of collectives and affiliates who operate under the FoE banner. Our Finances Coordinator pulls in all the financial data – including campaign expenses and donations etc… and keeps accurate records in accordance with relevant regulation and legislation.
- Data entry.
- Creation of financial reports.
Grow FoE Collective
Approximately 8 – 12 hrs per week (usually including weekends)
Use the stall kit to promote the work of Friends of the Earth. Will also work closely with the Merchandise Coordinator/s, and collectives to monitor requirements and resources for the stall as needs arise.
- Researching stall opportunities and booking as need be.
- Recruiting teams to run the stall at events.
- Maintain the stall kit and update resources as required.
- Operate stalls with other volunteers.
Approximately 4 hours per week
Assist the Operations Collective with the maintenance of member and supporter details and data in the NationBuilder system. This role works closely with the Fundraising Coordinator and other collective coordinators.
- Data entry from events and supporter engagements.
- Updating member and supporter details in the NationBuilder data system.
- Merging duplicate entries in the NationBuilder data system.
Approximately 4- 6 hours per week
FoE’s online shop sells only just a few of the amazing bits of merchandise that our creative collectives have developed. We would love to see the shop brimming with new and exciting ethical products that carry a message of social and environmental justice. Our coordinator would work with collectives and the stall coordinator to ensure that stock levels are maintained, and also to send out stock as it is required.
- Use the BigCommerce online system to update products as need be.
- Use the BigCommerce online system to monitor orders and despatch as need be.
- Liaise with ethical suppliers to ensure stock levels are maintained.
- Develop and research ethical options for future merchandise items.
Active Friend Phone Team
Approximately 4 hours a week
Work with our Fundraising Coordinator to call lists of people to invite them to join the Friends of the Earth family as members. Training will be supplied.
- Liaise with collectives to update campaign information to be used in pitches.
- Have intentional conversations with supporters to encourage membership with FoE.
- Record and process new memberships in the NationBuilder database system.
Approximately 6 hours a week (plus more at events)
Research and develop fundraising event opportunities for Friends of the Earth. This role will likely include volunteer management and specialised event management skills. The sky is the limit!
Research & Policy Team
Approximately 8 – 20 hours per week
Assist the Campaigns Coordinator and various campaign collectives with research. Speciality in a particular field is helpful, but no necessarily required. Research will be compiled into well referenced briefing notes for campaigners to update them on topics.
- Monitoring media on specific topics and setting up alerts.
- Reading journal articles and other scholarly work to gather information.
- Reviewing hansard and other records for information.
- Compiling notes into well referenced briefing documents.
- Briefing collectives and campaigners on information that you have learnt.