Thank you to everyone who has adapted to the changes in-store, so we can continue to Support local farmers, buy ethically and reduce waste together during these difficult times of COVID-19.
With new restrictions coming into to place, we wanted to take the time to remind you of how we have adapted to physical distancing.
We are open for bulk food shopping!
- We’re taking extra care and providing extra hygiene measures to keep us all safe.
- We have hand washing facilities, hand sanitiser and washing all utensils once they are used.
- We have moved lots of things to the front so we can all practice physical distancing while collecting our bulk items.
Karri and Esala outside the FoE Food Coop - doing a great job of physical distancing :)
The cafe is still open for takeaway food and drink!
- The lunch plate is served Monday-Saturday.
- On Sunday we have pies, pizza + sweets.
- All takeaways are served in compostable containers.
Our opening hours are:
Open Saturday 10-5
Open Sunday 11-4
You can click and collect online!
- You can build your own basic box of pantry/ home staples, or check out a wider range of our products on our DIY grocery form
- We're accepting orders/ pickups 7 days of the week. We will call you to confirm orders and take payment over the phone, and you can expect *roughly* a 24 hour turnaround.
- Everything comes packed in reusable/ recyclable containers + we plan to allow returns of any unwanted containers once the COVID crisis and transmission risk dies down.
The Friends of the Earth Food Co-op and Cafe is a not-for-profit social enterprise. That means every cent donated or spent in-store goes back into supporting the environmental and social justice campaigns at Friends of the Earth Melbourne.
Your support of the Food Coop and Cafe will be vital to ensure we can continue to provide for our Collingwood community and support our campaigns through COVID-19 and beyond!
(if you are already a member of FoE - Thank you!!)
We hope you enjoy this seasonal recipe!
1 cauliflower, cut into florets
3 onion, sliced
⅕ cups of rice
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
6 tbsp pine nuts
6 tbsp slithered almonds
8 tbsp olive oil
Salt + pepper to taste
1.Begin by preheating the oven to 180 degrees.
2.In a mixing bowl add the cauliflower florets, olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Mix well, add to baking tray and bake in the oven until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
3.In a small-frying pan add a little olive oil and fry the onions gently until softened. Remove from the heat.
4.Place rice in a strainer, wash well and leave to drain. Add to mixing bowl along with spices, salt, pepper and remaining oil. Mix thoroughly.
5.In a pot start layering. Begin with the cauliflower, followed by the softened onions and finally the spiced rice. Gently pour 2.5 cups of water over the mix taking care to keep the cauliflower at the bottom. Season, place lid on and bake for about 1.5 hours.
6.Whilst waiting roast pine nuts until golden brown and repeat with slivered almonds.
7.Once rice is cooked, remove from heat and allow it to sit for half an hour. Once cooled, remove the lid. Using a large plate, carefully place it on top of the pot and turn it upside down (you will end up with the rice on the the bottom and the cauliflower on top).
8.Put 3 tbsps of olive oil and the cauliflower florets into a tray. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees until golden brown. Follow by frying the onions on a low heat until the onions soften. Wash the rice well and add the spices through evenly.
9.Scatter roasted nuts over the top.
Makloubeh Arnabeet ingredients - all available in store or online!
Thank you again to all our shoppers and suporters for your support and orders!! We’ve been so touched by the communities encouragement and kind words during these difficult times.
Let’s keep working towards a sustainable and equitable future powered by the social enterprises and community.
Looking forward to seeing you soon!