Pages tagged "#VicClimateSoutions"
It's crunch time for our long-standing campaign for science-based Emissions Reduction Targets in Victoria.
The Andrews government's decision is just weeks away and time is running out to make the case for keeping global warming below 1.5°C.
The summer bushfires and the impact they’ve had on communities, first responders, wildlife and the natural world has shown what’s at stake if we fail to tackle the climate crisis.
And that awareness inspired us to ramp things up in February.
Over the last month, we...
- Brought together Friends of the Earth collectives for the final push on Emissions Reduction Targets.
- Distributed a statement from Bushfire Survivors for Climate Action to MPs on the steps of Parliament.
- Briefed Labor government MPs about the need for targets to help keep global warming below 1.5C.
- Took action on the streets of Melbourne to defend the community’s hard-won moratorium on gas drilling.
- Secured statewide media attention with a human sign on the doorstep of the Premier’s electorate.
- Facilitated a meeting between the Bushfire Survivors for Climate Action and Minister Lily D’Ambrosio.
- Gave testimony to the Victorian Parliamentary inquiry into community action on climate change.
- Met with EnergyAustralia to call on them to publicly support science-based targets.
- Secured regional media with a human sign at the iconic Hepburn Wind farm.
- Held market stalls, delivered public presentations, and more.
With less than four weeks left to influence Premier Dan Andrews’ thinking on state Emissions Reduction Targets, we have to take the same level of effort to the campaign in March.
And that’s EXACTLY what we intend to do!