Join Friends of the Earth's Act on Climate collective for the launch of the completed People's Climate Strategy for Victoria.
The project draws on local citizen knowledge to make the case for how Victoria can tackle the climate crisis by cutting emissions, creating jobs, and advancing social justice.
The event will cover:
- The history of the project and how we involved over a thousand community members across the state while in the thick of the COVID lockdowns last year.
- Why it's a crucial time to make the case for ambitious climate action in Victoria, and how you can get involved in our next step to make sure the People's Climate Strategy is seen by our members of parliament.
- The different communities around the state who have shaped the project; from First Nations people, to the disability community, to the union movement.
SPECIAL GUEST SPEAKERS:
- MC: Danae Bosler, Trades Hall
- Neil Morris, DRMNGNOW
- Shoi Sengupta, School Strike 4 Climate
- Kerri Cassidy, Disability Resources Centre
- Friends of the Earth campaigners Cam Walker, Anna Langford and Leigh Ewbank
- Music performance by Allysha Joy
**Free for First Nations people and those unable to pay - no one turned away for lack of funds. Please contact [email protected]
The Victorian Climate Change Act 2017 required the Andrews government to prepare the state's first Climate Change Strategy by 31 October 2020. It's a key piece of work that will outline how each economic sector and region in Victoria can cut emissions over the next 10 years, and how we will deal with the impacts that are already locked in.
However, the disruptive nature of COVID-19 has seen the government's strategy delayed in completion, and we still await its publication. Last year, with the Andrews government leading the pandemic response, we saw a need for civil society groups to step up with a clear vision for how the state can tackle the climate crisis by creating jobs, reining in emissions, and advancing social justice in communities.
That's why, in June 2020, Friends of the Earth's Act on Climate collective launched this project to create a People's Climate Strategy for Victoria.
The project has been based on sourcing grassroots, local knowledge from communities about the climate impacts they are worried about and the solutions they want to see. Through two surveys, roundtable discussions, social media actions, forums and an online dot-democracy vote, over 1,000 people have contributed ideas that have shaped the People's Climate Strategy for Victoria.
This event will take place on the stolen lands of the Wurundjeri people. Sovereignty was never ceded, and we must centre First Nations justice as part of our fight for climate justice.
54 Victoria St
Carlton - Wurundjeri Country, VIC 3053
Google map and directions