The road lobby is threatening the future of Melbourne with the North East Link (NEL) mega-toll road project.
The NEL is set to waste $16 billion, locking Melbourne into a future based on inefficient, unsustainable car travel, when what we need is better public transport.
Join locals for an action outside Paul Hamer MP's office! We're sending a clear message that the community does not support this dangerous project. Paul Hamer is the Member for Box Hill, an area that will be affected by the NEL.
The NEL will:
- Turn the Eastern Freeway into a 20+ lane traffic jam
- Destroy 138 homes and businesses
- Expose Kindergartens, Schools, Aged Care facilities and Sporting Facilities near NEL to unsafe levels of air pollution
- Increase traffic on local roads in the areas leading to the NE Link
- Bulldoze 9 MCGs worth of green spaces, parklands, wildlife habitat and community leisure & sporting facilities
- Cut down 26,000 trees including a 700-year-old River Gum
- Add to the climate crisis
Meet at the Box Hill Tram Interchange Stop 58, and we'll walk down to Paul Hamer's office.
Following this we will engage with the community in the mall, with leaflets and information.