Direct from the USA - Dr Don Huber, Plant Pathologist, Purdue University, Indiana
Dr Huber is an award-winning, world-renowned scientist. His opposition to genetically manipulated (GM) crops and glyphosate-based Roundup weedkiller results from 35 years of acclaimed research. He will explain how Roundup causes disease, reduces nutrient density in food, leaves residues that kill beneficial soil and gut bacteria and degrades the soil. GM crop safety has not been established.
Roundup is sprayed in home gardens and, by local authorities and contractors, on playgrounds, roadsides, parks, schools and childcare centres to manage weeds. Herbicide tolerant GM crops are drenched with Roundup– the weeds die, the plants survive. We eat the food made from these contaminated GM crops. Conventional farmers also use Roundup extensively. There are many safe alternatives to this toxic chemical.
· Dr Huber: Plant Pathologist - health and toxins in our environment and food.
· Professor Marc Cohen: MBBS (Hons), PhD, RMIT University – studying children's exposure to chemicals.
· Fran Murrell: Mothers for Deliciously Good Eating (MADGE) - risks and hazards of GM foods & crops.
· Councillor Sam Gaylard: City of Yarra - non-chemical options for urban weed control.
· Anthony Amis: Pesticides & Water Campaigner, Friends of the Earth - chemical monitoring & reduction of use.
· Dure Dara, OAM will host the evening: Devoted to the ethics of food and food service, Dure Dara’s energy and enthusiasm are hallmarks of her work in philanthropy, music and the women's movement.
Wednesday 25th February 2015, 7-9 pm
Fitzroy Town Hall, 201 Napier St, Fitzroy, Melbourne
Tickets: $10 at the door or book your seat online at http://trybooking.com/GODW
Please contact us if the ticket price prevents your attendance.
Media and bookings: Jessica Harrison 0407 307 231 firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsors: MADGE, GM-Free Australia Alliance, Friends of the Earth and Gene Ethics. Thanks to the City of Yarra for their support of this event.